background

Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas!

Christmas is probably one of my most favorite holidays.

I love the food of this season. Oh god do I love the food. I'm a firm believer that many a heart can be mended, and many a tear dried, with the help of divine treats shared at this time of year. They are created with so much love, deliciously warming and like a hug from your favorite friend, that turning them down would be doing oneself a great disservice. The simple act of scarfing nibbling the treats is therapy enough in my book.

I also love the energy this time of year brings. There is something both energizing and comforting in the hustle and bustle that happens the closer you get to Christmas. Parking lots become obnoxious, lines snake around stores where no one knows where it ends, kids line up to see Santa... Everyone is in a hurry, it seems, but the energy they give off fuels me, too.

Most of all, I love the decorations.

This year I couldn't help myself. I had our tree up the weekend before thanksgiving. No embarrassment or apologies for it, I LOVE how my house looks with a tree all twinkly and the rest of the lights dim. So, why am I just now blogging about it, the week of Christmas? Aside from life being insanely busy and chaotic right now, that's just how I roll.

Anyhoodles, here we go!

When you first come into our home, you'll see our wreath on our front door. Since we have a mudroom outside of our front door, our wreath is protected from the wind and rain the northwest is notorious for this time of year. Which is a good thing, this poor gal is pretty cheap... I made her myself by stuffing some sparkly stuff in and clipping on a flower. DIY on the fly!



Then we have our stockings. I really wish we had a mantle in our home. I don't even care about having a fire place (although, that would be nice too), I just really really want a mantle to decorate year round. Instead, our stockings are hung around a window. They were on a window ledge, but Chubbs kept knocking them down with his Tail of Mass Destruction. Still, I love them.


But my most favorite Christmas decoration is, obviously, my tree! This year we went with a turquoise and red theme, with some white and silver thrown in to balance it out a bit. I really love this color combination and am glad I went with it!


Here are some closer pictures of the details on our tree. I can't wait to add more ornaments as our life together grows.

 
Chloe's homemade ornament

Chubbs' homemade ornament

I loved this reindeer ornament the minute I saw it. And it was only $1!

I bought the Empire State Building ornament when I was living in NYC. Every time I see it, I smile.

 
I love the texture our tree has this year. The glitter and white berries make me feel all glowy.


I thought the key was too cute to pass up! Also, only $1.

And our topper... I've never been one for the froofy-ness of angels, but I love me a good star...

Well, there you have it. Now, to wrap all the presents! I have done all my shopping but zero wrapping, plus I have some homemade gifts I'm working on (ahem... haven't started yet), so I need to get my tush in gear.

Happy Holidays!


No comments:

Post a Comment