background

Thursday, October 28, 2010

It Smells Like Fall

Each year, without fail, fall comes traipsing through the pacific northwest and brings upon us wind & rain, cold, short days, and long, dark nights.  Our little corner of the world is suddenly transformed and we realize that we'll soon be losing the blessed sunshine that we don't get enough of, and taking it's place are grey skies, blustery days, and excuses for baking!

Those close to me know that baking is one of my favorite things to do, and I will often be found lovingly whipping something up in my handy-dandy Kitchenaid mixer at the mere whisper of the need for warmth and comfort. Lately it's been a lot of things pumpkin, because really, who doesn't like pumpkin stuffs this time of year? Some of the things I've made (and not all pumpkin) include:
I've been a busy girl! Baking delicious goodies and sharing them with those I love is one of my favorite pastimes. I put so much love (and butter, and sugar...) into my baking projects, I simply can't keep them all to myself. Plus, homemade baked goods put a smile on the face of most people, right?

When the Kitchenaid is in hibernation and the stove cool to the touch, I still like my house to smell like it's recently been baked in. The aromas of cinnamon, butter, vanilla, pumpkin... Nothing makes a house feel warmer to me than the cozy, yummy smell that goes along with cozy, yummy goodies we shovel into our mouths. So what to do when there is no baking project on the horizon?

I light a candle!

Recently I found these deliciously scented wax bricks at Wal.Mart, and after opening each one and taking a slight sniff (don't sniff too big, some of those smells will burn your sinuses, it seems!) I have found one I'm in L-O-V-E with.

Smells perfectly like fall, to me.
You break apart the little cubes, drop them in a wax warmer (we use an oil warmer with a tea light, which works perfectly!), sit back and enjoy! The aroma of those apples and oranges, along with the spicy richness of the cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, gently nudges me toward the couch, covers me with a blanket, and softly blows on the steamy hot chocolate in my mug, all the while warming up my home and my soul.

So when time is short, or you don't have the energy to whip up something yummy but you still want your house to smell good, drop some of these little cuties into your lives and snuggle on down.

I promise, it's almost as good as the real thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment